Employment opportunities for Illinois State students are on a part-time basis. Student teacher assistants are employed during the fall and spring semesters and summer session. The center operates from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday each semester and 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m during the summer session.
Hiring takes place before each semester begins. (For instance, hiring for the Spring semester begins late in the Fall semester prior to Christmas break.)
To apply for a teacher assistant position, fill out the Teacher Assistant Application and email to Carrie Carlson at email@example.com or contact Carrie at (309) 438-5026.
- Teacher assistants must be an active ISU student.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Within 90 days of hire:
- Must have a Level 1 ECE Credential through Gateways to Opportunity.
- Must hold an active CPR & First Aid certification by either the American Red Cross or American Heart Association. All CPR & First Aid certification must be completed in person (no online certifications will qualify).
- Skilled at working with children.
- Employment is open to any major, but majors relating to child development, social work or early childhood education are preferred.
After a student is offered employment, the following will be requested:
- Three written character references
- Clearance on a criminal background check
- A medical record verifying good health (including a negative TB test, and immunizations for Tdap & 2 doses of MMR)
Hours of Employment
- Varies according to each student's class schedule.
- Schedules are set for the same time for an entire semester.
- Shifts include working the same hours on a MWF schedule, TR schedule or a Monday through Friday schedule.
- Since class obligations change from one semester to the next, work schedules may change on a semester basis.
- The hours for teacher aides average from 8-15 hours per week.