Employment opportunities for Illinois State students are on a part-time basis. Student teacher assistants are employed during the fall and spring semesters and summer session. The center operates from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday each semester and 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m during the summer session.
Hiring takes place before each semester begins. (For instance, hiring for the Spring semester begins late in the Fall semester prior to Christmas break.)
- Teacher assistants must be an active ISU student.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Within 90 days of hire:
- Must have a Level 1 ECE Credential through Gateways to Opportunity.
- Must hold an active CPR & First Aid certification by either the American Red Cross or American Heart Association. All CPR & First Aid certification must be completed in person (no online certifications will qualify).
- Skilled at working with children.
- Employment is open to any major, but majors relating to child development, social work or early childhood education are preferred.
After a student is offered employment, the following will be requested:
- Three written character references
- Clearance on a criminal background check
- A medical record verifying good health (including a negative TB test, and immunizations for Tdap & 2 doses of MMR)
Hours of Employment
- Varies according to each student's class schedule.
- Schedules are set for the same time for an entire semester.
- Shifts include working the same hours on a MWF schedule, TR schedule or a Monday through Friday schedule.
- Since class obligations change from one semester to the next, work schedules may change on a semester basis.
- The hours for teacher aides average from 8-15 hours per week.